Podiatrists use scalpels every day during patient care, and run the risk of a scalpel injury without the correct equipment and work practices.
Podiatrists are one of the most frequent users of scalpel blades in the medical profession. Removing scalpel blades without the right tool increase our chances of a sharps injury significantly. In the best case, a sharps cut can lead to delays or blood tests being required. At worst, you are risking surgery, a blood-borne infection, and costly rehabilitation.
Where Do Scalpel Cuts Occur?
When removing scalpel blades
While switching instruments
During clean-up / resterilization
Scalpel Cuts Can Cause:
Blood-borne infection such as HBV, HCV, or HIV
Severed digital nerve and/or tendon
Psychological distress and/or trauma
Delayed procedures and loss of productivity
Costs for an uncomplicated scalpel injury
US$ 550 – US$ 3000
Cost if the injury requires surgery and rehab
US$ 15000 – US$ 100000
In addition to the post-exposure management costs, there may be hidden costs such as workers compensation, retraining, or non-compliance penalties.
Preventing Cuts using the Qlicksmart BladeFLASK
- Removes up to 100 used scalpel blades
- Automatic safety mechanism removes and contains your scalpel blades using only one hand.
- Certified and medically approved sharps container.
- Can be attached to a wall or bench with the reusable Mounting Bracket.
- Dispose by placing it in your medical waste bin.
Qlicksmart BladeFLASKs are a quick and simple way to remove scalpel blades.
The BladeFLASK is easy to use with just one hand. A quick “push, click, and pull” action is all you need to do to remove and contain used scalpel blades.
They work within your standard operating procedures
- Fast implementation process
- Less training (compared to forceps)
- Compatible with wide range of blades
Qlicksmart devices have safely removed over 70 million contaminated scalpel blades, and prevented up to 150,000 injuries around the world.